Baked french toast is great when you’re making breakfast for many. You can prepare it the night before and throw it in the fridge. The best part is that breakfast if ready for everyone at the same time. I made two kinds this weekend while at a friend’s cottage. This one, I considered to be the “second course”, as it was the more dessert-like one.
This recipe is sugar-free, other than the dark chocolate chips.
- 2 mashed ripe bananas
- 6 eggs
- fresh juice of 2 oranges
- zest of 2 oranges
Bread: 1 loaf of super healthy bread (I used flax bread)
Garnish: Orange slices (with all peel/rind cut off)
Last but not least…the darkest chocolate chips you can find (I used about a quarter cup of minis, but you can decide how chocolatey you want this).
- preheat oven to 350
- mash bananas
- add other egg wash ingredients and mix well
- cut bread into small cubes
- mix cubed bread in liquid mixture
- grease a 9′ x 13′ pyrex
- pour mixture into pyrex
- top with chocolate chips
- bake for 45-50 minutes
- Remind everyone of how healthy this is, because they won’t believe you.Even healthier/lower calorie options:
- replace eggs with egg whites (and go up in number)
- go very skimpy on the chocolate chips….
- skip the chocolate chips entirely, and add a couple of tablespoons of dark chocolate cocoa powder to the egg wash mixture (that way you avoid the sugar of choc. chips)