I have a little obsession with sweet and salty things. The popcorn? I’m not allowed to buy it anymore. Only if I’m having people over. I had people over when I made these for the first time. I bought the popcorn…and then spontaneously made these cupcakes.
Oh, that addictive sweet and salty kettlecorn. So dangerous. These cupcakes? I have a little more self control, but I don’t know if you will. So there you have it, my warning.
Sweet and salty, with a chocolate surprise!
But it’s okay, because there is no refined sugar in these cupcakes. They’re healthy! Next time I’ll probably try to sneak in some superfood chia, but here’s the current version.
- CUPCAKE BATTER
- 1 and ¼ cups flour (I used Bob’s Gluten-free blend)
- ½ t baking powder
- ¼ t baking soda
- ½ t sea salt
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup date paste (1 cup packed dates + ½ cup water)
- ½ cup milk (I used almond)
- 12t mini dark chocolate chips
- ¼ cup greek yogurt
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1 T coconut sugar
- 3T shredded coconut
- ¼ t sea salt
- sweet and salty kettlecorn for topping (optional)
- Make the date paste: soak 1 cup packed pitted dates in ½ cup boiling water. Puree WITH water. Allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, coconut oil and date paste. Add flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- Line a muffin pan with, and spray with coconut oil.
- Spoon in batter.
- Create a well in the center of each batter, and put 1 t of dark chocolate chips, and cover with a little batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Stir together all ingredients, except for popcorn. Smooth onto cooled cupcakes.
- If you allow them to set in the fridge, the icing will dry.
This is a sure crowd pleaser! Here’s another sweet and salty recipe:
What flavour combination do you find the most addictive? I think that it’s a tie between sweet and salty and peanut butter chocolate for me.